Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Conceptual Sketches:


Part of the criticism with my previous two assignments was the clean-cut lines of my sketches. My poche renderings seemed almost like site plans with lines being solid and hard. I find it difficult to portray three dimensions in my sketches so I had some practice with the original building on site three before I set about designing my gallery. As an architectural computing student I do tend to neglect the hand drawing side of design. This studio class has opened my eyes to how critical quick sketches can be.

Currently I am torn between modelling my gallery up using computer software, or sticking with hand drawing. I think a quick Google SketchUp or AutoDesk Revit model could give much more insight into what I am trying to achieve with my gallery than my hand sketches could.


These initial conceptual sketches have been inspired through some simple axonometric shapes drawn from some of my inspirational galleries. I've tried to capture the front facade with the thick sidewalk overhang protruding into the path of pedestrians and capturing their attention. The living space on the second level is supposed to give the effect that it is separate to the gallery spaces, yet still intertwined with body of the building. The second story will not extend all the way back as the courtyard needs direct sunlight. My vision involves lots of glass with gallery viewing from all different angles. I am also torn whether or not to include public spaces on the second level.

No comments:

Post a Comment