Monday, June 7, 2010

Model Development:

These images show a timeline of my gallery from conception through to a full 1:100 scale model.

I chose to take the section through the courtyard, as this is the space that divides the gallery. From the courtyard forward towards the atrium on the lower level is all public space, whereas from the courtyard backwards is the offices and workshop areas. These spaces are restricted to employees of the gallery only. I also chose to take the section through the courtyard as I want to give it an "outdoor feel", hence the glass roof. Opening it up through a section adds to this idea that you could in fact be outside.


Getting the front facade right with the intertwining levels and the different angles was the hardest part of the model making process.

I decided to make the roof detachable so that you could get a good look at the inside of the gallery and see all the different rooms and spaces. If the roof was a permanent fixture you would not be able to appreciate the gallery for what it is.

The top story is the apartment space for the client, it also includes a living area and a catering prepared kitchen for gallery functions. I decided to make this separate to the majority of the gallery as it is portrays more of a homely feel. I didn't want my gallery to have kitchens and living spaces scattered in with gallery spaces and viewing rooms.


I think that I managed to successfully achieve the desired aim from my front facade.

With other buildings on either side of the gallery there was no need for windows etc down the sides. This does tend to make the model look a little plain, but I think once it is placed on the site you will able to truly appreciate it.

Finally, here is the model almost entirely completed. As there are multiple pieces to my model, the largest front section has been stuck to a base so that it stays relatively sturdy. I didn't want to risk having too many loose pieces when transporting it to Uni, or when displaying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment